On Finding Your Flow

Sometimes, I can be a little impatient. 

Ok, that’s an understatement. I am a very, very, very impatient person. But when it comes to books, I can sit and read all day, without ever getting bored. 

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine – another impatient soul – and he said something that really struck me. 

“I don’t like reading. It takes too long and it’s frustrating because they don’t tell you the answer straight away. It’d rather just sit near a book and have the ideas go directly into my brain.” 

This is an interesting thought, isn’t it? In a world where we have every answer available to us online, at the click of a button, why would anyone bother to read?

As technology improves and people have more options for research, entertainment, and relaxation, you might assume that books are falling out of fashion. But, 212 million books were sold in the UK in 2021, which means that reading is still a big part of many people’s lives. 

Of course, it might be frustrating trying to look up a maths problem in a text book, when the answer is a click away online, but the reason I don’t find reading frustrating is that I’m not treating it as a means to an end. For me, it’s the process of reading that’s important. 

Reading is like a meditation, only instead of focusing on guiding your own thoughts, you have a story to guide them for you.

And research suggests that reading a good book can decrease stress. Possibly one of the reasons for this is that reading takes focus and concentration, and can put the read in a state of Flow. 

In Flow state, a person is fully engaged in the task at hand, without thinking about themselves, or worrying about how well they’re performing. Flow is often associated with professional athletes, but it can also happen at any time when you’re fully focused. Research shows that experiencing a Flow State can lead to a sense of accomplishment, meaningfulness, and positive moods.

This definitely feels like how I experience reading a good book. The hours fly by, and I’m enjoying the story so much that I don’t have time to worry about whether I’ve locked the car, or what I’m going to have for tea later. 

Everyone is different. And many people, like my impatient friend, might find it difficult to find their Flow through reading. 

But, whether you find your peace through building furniture, walking the dog, or settling in for an hour with your favourite book, I hope you take some time today to find your Flow. 

Image from unsplash.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Breaking up with the Moon

On love, dating and biscuits

On univocalisms - Slinky Crisps