On Jean Paul Sartre’s Cat

Not a reflection of poor self-esteem
or insufficient familial regard;
still, I am Nothing.

It doesn’t suit me:
I am too proud, straight-backed 
and supple as philosophy

a shadow made flesh and fur, 
my formlessness ideal 
for the hunt. I am mercurial,

a mystery in his living room.
Something unnamed
purring by the fireside.

I am unknowable, unaccountable
the sleek keeper of sneaked secrets.
Only an animal in the abstract.

Unfathomable. I am what the universe 
expands into. The opposite of reason.
Greater than gods, more evil than the devil, 

I am what the rich man craves
and the poor man has in spades. 
Your joke has made a monster of me

a small, limitless void, staring back
with feline green eyes. Good evening,
I am Nothing. Pleased to meet you.

Jean Paul Sartre with his cat, who he called Nothing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Breaking up with the Moon

On love, dating and biscuits

On Home Appliances