On Writing Constraints (Merbles)

Univocalisms were first devised by the Oulipo, a group of writers, artists and thinkers based in Paris in the mid-twentieth century. The Univocalism is one of their most famous inventions: a piece of writing that excludes four out of the five vowel sounds. 

Let me explain. For example, if you write an O univocalism, you're not allowed to use any words that include the letters A, E, I, or U, and if you do an E univocalism, you're not allowed to use any words that include the letters A, I, O, or U. 

It sounds hard (because it is) but it's a fascinating challenge, and I really love it because it can get out of a writing rut, and help you create pieces that you'd never write otherwise!

This is my favourite univocalism that I've ever written, and I think I really like it because it's so deeply, unrelentingly silly, and because it breaks the rule that it follows.

I'm dead rebellious, me. 

 

Merbles 

Yer ersk mer ter explern merserlf 
Bert mer rerply cernferses. 
Mer werds ere erwferl fer yer herlth – 
yer cern’t herr mer excerses. 

Thers cernversertern’s gerng serth, 
mer sperch ers strernge ernd gerbled, 
bercerse erm terkng werth mer merth  
cermplertely ferll erf merbles.


Photo via Unsplash.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Collaborative Working (Kingmaker R&D)

On Breaking up with the Moon

On Writing and Re-Writing (Kingmaker R&D)